Tuesday, October 23, 2012

on the other side of the college fair


Tonight I volunteered at a college fair representing my alma mater.  Despite being very different from what I expected, I think it was a good experience.  Going in I thought that being a recent grad would me a big advantage to high schoolers and parents who wanted to learn about the school, instead it was the professional recruiters who had lines of people wanting to talk to them.  I eventually got a rhythm for my greets and responses going, but I was still pretty awkward for my first time at a college fair.
I talked to the rep at the table next to me, (he knew all about my college, having the same first name as his institution he always ends up at the next table).  Going to college fairs are his full time job, this was half-way through the season, and he knew way too much about his college in his opinion.  Sounded like he was burning out.
I noticed the big difference in what questions the high schoolers and what recent grads (like myself) ask each other to compare their experiences.  I don't think these high school students had any concept what college experience was like.  Doesn't this put them at a big disadvantage because they don't yet know what factors are important to them or what questions to ask when comparing institutions?
I found it hard to sell a liberal arts degree, probably a sign of changing times.  Those who knew what kind of degree they wanted were all those found in technical colleges.

Maybe I should've worn my Justin Bieber T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment